In our Fast paced, High stressed life in “going” and “doing” many don’t realize what parts of the body have to “over react” to keep up with our lifestyle. One of the key ones is the Adrenal Glands which produce a hormone call cortisol. Cortisol in simple terms gives us a boost during our “fight or flight” mode and wasn’t designed to be turned on all the time, living “IN” stress keeps your cortisol turned on all the time. The adrenal glands also produce other hormones like aldosterone, estrogens, testosterone, progesterone, pregnenelone and DHEA and when it is burned out it affects other aspects of our health.
First, I believe in prayer and the Wisdom of God. Through this walk I believe He has directed me in the ways I need to take care of my body. A Miracle would have fixed my issue but not the root or how to take care of me after that, sometimes Wisdom is the answer we are praying for!
My profession is a computer consultant and I live under stress and have for over 35 years and just recently understood what that has done to my body and energy level. This blog is to help others overcoming and recover from adrenal fatigue and have a good quality of life and not be so run down and exhausted all the time.
After extensive research, trial and error, and experimentation in my own body these are the things that have helped me the most in order of magnitude and effectiveness. This is NOT an a full explanation of adrenal fatigue, if you are reading this you already know what it is. I’ve included some of the research and URL’s for you to read because I am not going to cover everything in depth, just explain what has worked for me and point you in the right direction.
In all the research they say recovering from adrenal fatigue could take a year or longer which was not going to work for me, so my goal was to come at this with different modalities and decrease that time which I have done in about 4 weeks to where I am able to stay awake until 10:00pm every night and not crash. But please take it slow, just because you start to feel better doesn’t mean you have recovered… it just means what you are doing is working. If one of the methods doesn’t work, scratch it off the list and try others, this is a trial and error process for each person.
Adrenal fatigue (insufficiency) is commonly associated with the following symptoms, which can vary from mild to extreme, or classified from Stage 1- Stage 4. You could have some or all of these symptoms, there are NO GOOD tests to diagnose adrenal fatigue. You can have your cortisol levels tested by saliva over the course of the day for a couple of days which helps identify where you are. Blood work doesn’t help much because it is only a snapshot in time one time when cortisol decreases from the moment you wake up until you go to sleep.
* decreased tolerance to cold
* poor circulation
* low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia)
* low blood pressure
* apathy or depression
* low stamina
* low self-esteem due to low energy output
* joint aches and pains
* low levels of gastric hydrochloric acid
* tendency to constipation
* muscle weakness
* need for excessive amounts of sleep
* fears, due to low energy and secondary copper toxicity
* lowered resistance to infection
* subnormal body temperature
Cortisol: when your body has a little bit of it you get a boost of energy, when it has too much and can’t get rid of it you are fatigued and crash. This is what happens when you are under stress all the time and never give your body a chance to release cortisol. In my case, it appeared I had overdosed on cortisol and couldn’t process it as fast as I was making it due to the stress levels. 7 Ways to Rock you cortisol.
The goal was then to control my cortisol levels and decrease what was stored in my body, the list of things below addressed this problem in different ways instead of just one. Which has seemed to work fairly quickly for me.
1.) Acupuncture: made the single most significant change in my body. What I learned was it is possible to drain the cortisol from your system fairly fast. After my 3rd treatment I had about a 30% increase in energy and started feeling better, I also was the most relaxed I have ever been while the needles were in my body. The person I saw was Jeff Bond in Warren, OH and was extremely knowledgably. There was nothing “new age” or “spiritual healer” about him. He was all about the points on the body just like a massotherapist would be with muscles. Expect to have between 8 to 10 treatments depending on your condition.
- The fastest ones I found to work for me was by Gaia “Adrenal Health” and after about the 2nd day I had another 20-25% increase in energy. Now my wife tried them and they knocked her out. So get a small bottle first and see how they work for you. (Siberian Rhodiola, Holy Basil, Oat milky seed, Schisandra berry, & Ashwagandha)
- The other ones that worked well but took longer were Dr. Wilsons which you can normally get at your local health food store or online Link .
- Multivitamins: you need the proper vitamins for your condition and this brand was specifically designed for that and I use it in a morning smoothie everyday (see below). Fatigued to Fantastic, Energy Revatlization System and buy it at Vitacost.com
- D-Ribose helped my muscles because they were so tight, I started taking that 3 x day for 2 weeks then tapered off.
- Higher doses of Vitamin C, we use a brand called Perque Potent C Guard tablets. You can really take as much as 14 of these a day but spread them out or you will have very loose stool movements. I am taking t a day unless I am tired, then I take 2 more at lunch.
- Vitamin D3, we use Dr. Best 5,000 iu and take 2 to 3 a day depending on if you live in a sunny state. Ohio is not!
3.) Earthing or grounding: What I learned is this helps decrease the cortisol in your body and allows the stored up electricity in your body to discharge. Yes it sounds weird and far out there, but I am also an electronics technician and this is a valid thing and seemed to really help me.
I have an earthing mat under my feet while I work, and I put one under my sheets and sleep on it at night. While I feel fatigued and drained I will lay on my mat without a shirt for about 30 minutes and always feel better then go back to work.
Everyday I sit behind 3 computer monitors 8-10 hours a day and am bombarded with RF and EMF frequencies all day long and having this pad under my feet while I work has made a major change in my energy level. So scoff if you want but ONLY after you have tried it. They are fairly inexpensive, like $49.00 at Earthing.com Mats. Watch this video which was very good earthing to reduce cortisol
4.) Exercise: Here is something I learned that was extremely valuable! You want to do light exercises and NOT over exert yourself which taxes your adrenal and increases cortisol. We think if we are tired we need to exercise “harder”, this is the opposite for adrenal fatigue. What I am talking about is a 20 min. walk, Pilates, or stretching, but stopping immediately if you feel light headed, tired, or fatigued and rest. You don’t want more cortisol being created!
These are some of the exercises that I also use from Dr. Christianson’s book. Exercises
the adrenal reset diet by Dr. Alan Christianson. He talks about adjusting your cortisol by what you eat and when you eat it, that is your protein and carbs together. He also covers a lot of what I am talking about in this blog.
I also follow the Eat Right 4 Your Type blood type diet which I HIGHLY recommend. It changed my life and health
6.) Sleep: you need at least 7-8 hours of uninterrupted good sleep at night, I also took a 30-60 minute nap during the day when I was tired. Sleep helps decrease cortisol and allows your body to recover. Get to bed by 10:00pm, the hours you go to bed before midnight gives you twice the REM recovery than after midnight.
7.) Water: drink good quality spring water with Celtic Salt, I use about 1 teaspoon of salt a day. I have a 60 oz. bottle of water and put my salt in it and drink it all day long. Reverse Osmosis water from what I have learned is not good for your body, it leeches minerals and vitamins from your body. I also purchased a 5 stage filtering unit from AquaLiv which I like, this produces what is called Structure Water and this is how it works.
8.) Morning smoothie: Every morning I do a smoothie with HIGH protein and vitamins and this is what it looks like. I use a NurtaBullet to blend it and break up the flax seed.
- 10 oz of Almond milk
- 1/4 cup of frozen red raspberries from Sam’s Club. We buy a large container and freeze them because they go bad fast.
- 1 scoop of the Fatigued to Fantastic, Energy Revitalization System multivitamin
- 1 scoop of Garden of Life RAW protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula
- 1 scoop of D-Ribose
- 1 Scoop of flax seeds
- 1 Scoop of Macha tea powder
- 1/2 scoop of The Beef Standard Protein by Betancourt Nutrition.
- Stay away from SUGAR, it is terrible for your cortisol! Cut out as much as possible, that means fruits as well! Then see how you feel, at first your body will fight it because sugar is addictive but stay with it and your cravings will decrease.
- Caffeine of all kinds, it causes your body to produce cortisol. Instead you can try Macha tea or I have had good success with Yerba Mate Tea.
- Alcohol is just bad for your cortisol, but try it. I have found this true in my life, but a glass of wine once in a while won’t kill you. Just make it seldom.
- Stay away from gluten, dairy and white flours.
If you have read this far I commend you for staying with me!
If this helps you please Comment on the post, and if you find other things that I have not please share them with me and I will add them.